發新話題
打印

VANNESS MADNESS

VANNESS MADNESS

VANNESS MADNESS
Check out former F4 member Van Ness Wu, once the least popular member of the band who's now a big hit

By Charlene Chua
February 20, 2010                  

WHEN hit Taiwanese idol drama series Meteor Garden became a worldwide sensation nine years ago, American-born Chinese actor-singer Van Ness Wu was considered boy band F4's least popular and swoon-worthy member.

KISSY, KISSY: Van Ness Wu with his co-star Ady An in new Taiwanese drama, Autumn's Concerto. PICTURE: STARHUB

F4 - now known as JVKV and also comprising Jerry Yan, Vic Chou and Ken Chu - starred as a rich-boy quartet in Meteor Garden.

Van Ness was criticised for his sub-par acting skills and poor Mandarin diction in the drama.

His character had the least screen time among the foursome, and the only one who didn't have a love interest.

Now fast forward to the present, and the 32-year-old is a force to be reckoned with in the entertainment industry.

Van Ness's latest Taiwanese drama Autumn's Concerto, which debuted last October in Taiwan, has garnered top ratings (8.2 per cent), beating previous front-runner The Prince Who Turns Into A Frog.

It premiered in Singapore on E City (StarHub Ch 56) in January, and resumes telecast on 6 Mar at 7pm after a short hiatus.

The series revolves around an arrogant law student (Van Ness) who loses his memory and then falls in love with an orphaned canteen stall owner (Ady An).

Autumn's Concerto has also won the ratings battle against the rest of F4 by achieving almost twice the viewership of Jerry's Hot Shot (4.2 per cent), Vic's Black & White (4.8 per cent) and Ken's Momo Love (3.4 per cent).

Solo projects-wise, Van Ness is also the only F4 member to have filmed eight movies, released six hit solo albums and own a jewellery line (3.V.0.7) - far surpassing his fellow members' achievements.

He also co-owns entertainment company Smash & Grab productions, lifestyle apparel line Triumvir and luxury nightclub Primo.

Apart from collaborating with international music superstars such as Beyonce Knowles for the 2004 hit single Crazy In Love, he was also the opening act for rapper/producer Kanye West's Glow In The Dark Tour in Shanghai two years ago.

So how did he do it?

First, there was the physical transformation.

For Autumn's Concerto, Van Ness had to work hard to get rid of his American accent and replace his baggy 'street' clothes with well-fitted collared shirts.

Circle lenses were also used to enlarge his pupils so he would have the doe-eyed look that attractive Japanese manga characters are often associated with.

While he had long rebonded hair previously, he now sports a manly crew cut.

His biggest obstacle, however, were the scripts.

But Van Ness won the language battle by transcribing all the Mandarin words into romanised characters so that he could properly memorise them.

Intimacy issues

Then there were the 'girl problems'.

During the filming of Autumn's Concerto, Ady had been reluctant to film the kissing scenes with him.

According to previous Chinese media reports, Ady - who has been an actress since 2002 - reportedly had some bad experiences with men in the past which caused her to develop a phobia of filming intimate scenes.

Van Ness told the Taiwanese media that he was extremely concerned and constantly questioned whether the problem lay with him.

Van Ness, who is a staunch Christian, said he prayed to overcome the problem.

Ady also had some alcohol just before their kissing scene. The final take was a successful one.

On the film set, in front of the media, Ady apologised to Van Ness.

Said Ady: 'I had the courage to film the scene only after I was slightly drunk but Van Ness had already quit drinking because of his religion.'

She then turned to Van Ness and asked: 'Did I smell of alcohol?'

Van Ness could only offer a smile.

Ady added that she was moved to tears when Van Ness had one day pulled her into a room and prayed for her because he had noticed that she was in a bad mood.

Virginity

Since then, Van Ness and Ady have successfully filmed many other intimate scenes in the drama, including kissing scenes set in an ice-skating rink and in a garden.

But after Ady got over her fear, it was Van Ness who kept fumbling during the love scenes.

The production team then set in place a fine, where Van Ness had to pay NT100 ($4) whenever he had an NG ('no good' take).

Van Ness, who revealed he lost his virginity at 17 and has had six girlfriends since, including Taiwanese sex kitten Vivian Hsu, has since taken a vow of celibacy.

The actor said he is now focused on marriage and children.

'Maybe I was naive, and drank a little as well. The person (whom I lost my virginity to) was just a friend, but not someone I loved.

'I regret it. Even when I get married, I will still regret it. This is not something good. Kids should never do this,' he said.

He revealed that he was tempted to break his vow soon after he had signed a celibacy card in 2008. But he has learnt to curb his desires with prayer.

Despite his new perspective on life, Van Ness has not been free from scandal.

His personal assistant is currently being investigated for a drug offence, and those around him - including Van Ness - are now also suspected of taking drugs.

But the star has said he's willing to take a drug test to clear his name.

Now that's a new rock star attitude - by saying no to sex, drugs and alcohol.

What about the other former F4 members?

Here's a peek at their resumes to date.

Jerry Yan, 33

Undoubtedly the star of Meteor Garden, F4 leader Jerry started out strong career-wise, playing the bad-tempered Daoming Si who made girls swoon when he fought without a care for himself to save his lady love's life.

Raised by his single mum, his poor boy made good story touched the hearts of millions of fans.

But his singing was deemed too weak for him to strike it out in the music industry.

# 2 solo albums

# 1 movie

# 11 drama series

Ken Chu, 31

He attended Boon Lay Secondary School in Singapore.

Acting as a playboy in Meteor Garden helped boost his image as a suave charmer.

Over the years, Ken has struggled to keep his weight down.

He released his own cookbook in 2006.

# 2 solo albums

# 3 movies

# 16 drama series

Vic Chou, 29

The baby of F4. His big, round peepers and sullen demeanour as Huazhe Lei in Meteor Garden were his main selling points.

And although Vic received good reviews for his performance as a cop in his latest drama Black & White, he recently lost the Best Actor award to co-star Mark Zhao at the Golden Bell Awards.

He's known to have a love for cars and was in a well-publicised relationship with Meteor Garden co-star, Barbie Hsu.

# 3 solo albums

# 2 movies

# 12 drama series

references:
-   http://www.tnp.sg/show/story/0,4136,230701,00.html
with fan comments at
-   http://asianfanatics.net/forum/topic/712743-van-ness-madness/

[ 本帖最後由 bond8778 於 2010-2-20 22:41 編輯 ]

終於看完了... 英文不好....

how come its so long..

great to see the details info & become more +ve reports....

中英 译文!

This is an article from New Paper...I heard this is paper normally only writes about tabloids...wow..GOD is GOOD!这是来自新报的文章...我听说这是文件通常只写了关于小报...哇..上帝是好的!

WHEN hit Taiwanese idol drama series Meteor Garden became a worldwide sensation nine years ago, American-born Chinese actor-singer Van Ness Wu was considered boy band F4's least popular and swoon-worthy member.当打台湾偶像剧流星花园成为全球著名的9年前,美国出生的华人演员,歌手吴建豪吴被认为是男孩偶像团体F4的最不受欢迎和昏厥,值得重视的成员。

KISSY, KISSY: Van Ness Wu with his co-star Ady An in new Taiwanese drama, Autumn's Concerto. 基西,基西:吴建豪吴邦国与他合作,奥迪在新的乡土剧,秋天的协奏曲明星。 PICTURE: STARHUB 图片:星  
F4 - now known as JVKV and also comprising Jerry Yan, Vic Chou and Ken Chu - starred as a rich-boy quartet in Meteor Garden. F4类 - 现在被称为JVKV,也包括杰里严,周渝民和朱孝天 - 作为丰富的男孩四重奏流星花园主演。

Van Ness was criticised for his sub-par acting skills and poor Mandarin diction in the drama.吴建豪被批评他低于平均水平的演技和贫困国语词的戏剧。

His character had the least screen time among the foursome, and the only one who didn't have a love interest.他的性格中有至少四人屏幕的时间,谁是唯一一个没有爱情的兴趣。

Now fast forward to the present, and the 32-year-old is a force to be reckoned with in the entertainment industry.现在,快进到现在,32岁是一个不可忽视的力量在娱乐行业。

Van Ness's latest Taiwanese drama Autumn's Concerto, which debuted last October in Taiwan, has garnered top ratings (8.2 per cent), beating previous front-runner The Prince Who Turns Into A Frog.吴建豪最新的台语剧秋天的协奏曲,这在台湾推出去年10月,已经获得最高评价(百分之8.2),超过以前的领跑者是谁的王子变成青蛙打开。

It premiered in Singapore on E City (StarHub Ch 56) in January, and resumes telecast on 6 Mar at 7pm after a short hiatus.它在新加坡首演在E市(StarHub公司总56)在今年1月,晚上七时于3月6日恢复直播经过短暂中断。

The series revolves around an arrogant law student (Van Ness) who loses his memory and then falls in love with an orphaned canteen stall owner (Ady An).该系列讲述了一个傲慢的法律系学生(吴建豪)谁失去了记忆,然后爱上了一名孤儿食堂档主(奥迪安)。

Autumn's Concerto has also won the ratings battle against the rest of F4 by achieving almost twice the viewership of Jerry's Hot Shot (4.2 per cent), Vic's Black & White (4.8 per cent) and Ken's Momo Love (3.4 per cent).秋天的协奏曲,也赢得了几乎两倍,达到了杰里的篮球火的收视率对F4的其他评级战(百分之四点二),维克的黑与白(百分之四点八)和肯的莫莫爱(百分之三点四)。

Solo projects-wise, Van Ness is also the only F4 member to have filmed eight movies, released six hit solo albums and own a jewellery line (3.V.0.7) - far surpassing his fellow members' achievements.单独项目明智,吴建豪也是F4类成员只能有8部电影拍摄,发行6击中张个人专辑和自己的一间珠宝行(3.V.0.7) - 远远超过他的'其他成员的成就。

He also co-owns entertainment company Smash & Grab productions, lifestyle apparel line Triumvir and luxury nightclub Primo.他还与他人共同拥有的娱乐公司粉碎和抓斗生产,生活方式的服装系列Triumvir和豪华夜总会普里莫。

Apart from collaborating with international music superstars such as Beyonce Knowles for the 2004 hit single Crazy In Love, he was also the opening act for rapper/producer Kanye West's Glow In The Dark Tour in Shanghai two years ago.除了与比昂斯诺尔斯等国际音乐巨星的2004年单曲在爱疯合作,他亦是说唱开场表演/生产者在上海黑暗之旅Kanye West的辉光两年前。

So how did he do it?那么他是如何做到这一点?

First, there was the physical transformation.首先,是物理变化。

For Autumn's Concerto, Van Ness had to work hard to get rid of his American accent and replace his baggy 'street' clothes with well-fitted collared shirts.对于秋天的协奏曲,吴建豪必须努力摆脱他的美国口音,以及替换他的宽松'街道'衣服贴领衬衫。

Circle lenses were also used to enlarge his pupils so he would have the doe-eyed look that attractive Japanese manga characters are often associated with.圈镜头也被用来扩大了他的学生,所以他将有大眼睛看起来有吸引力的日本漫画人物,常与参加。

While he had long rebonded hair previously, he now sports a manly crew cut.虽然他的头发已久再结合此前,他现在体育1男子气的发型。

His biggest obstacle, however, were the scripts.他的最大障碍,但是,他们的脚本。

But Van Ness won the language battle by transcribing all the Mandarin words into romanised characters so that he could properly memorise them.但吴建豪赢得了抄录成汉语拼音的所有字符的中文单词,让他正确地记住他们的语言战斗。

Intimacy issues 亲密关系问题

Then there were the 'girl problems'.而后,又出现了'女孩的问题'。

During the filming of Autumn's Concerto, Ady had been reluctant to film the kissing scenes with him.在秋的协奏曲拍摄,奥迪一直不愿意与他拍摄的接吻场面。

According to previous Chinese media reports, Ady - who has been an actress since 2002 - reportedly had some bad experiences with men in the past which caused her to develop a phobia of filming intimate scenes.据以前的中国媒体报道,奥迪 - 谁自2002年以来一直是演员 - 据报,在过去的男子,造成她发展亲密的场景拍摄恐惧症的一些不好的经验。

Van Ness told the Taiwanese media that he was extremely concerned and constantly questioned whether the problem lay with him.吴建豪告诉台湾媒体,他非常关心,经常询问的问题推给他。

Van Ness, who is a staunch Christian, said he prayed to overcome the problem.吴建豪,谁是坚定的基督徒说,他祈祷克服这个问题。

Ady also had some alcohol just before their kissing scene.奥迪还刚刚亲吻现场之前的一些酒精。 The final take was a successful one.最后的考虑是成功的。

On the film set, in front of the media, Ady apologised to Van Ness.在这部电影的布景,在媒体面前,奥迪吴建豪道歉。

Said Ady: 'I had the courage to film the scene only after I was slightly drunk but Van Ness had already quit drinking because of his religion.'奥迪说:'我曾拍摄现场后,才稍微喝醉了,但吴建豪已经辞职,因为他的宗教饮酒的勇气。

She then turned to Van Ness and asked: 'Did I smell of alcohol?'然后她转向吴建豪,问:'难道我的酒精味道呀?

Van Ness could only offer a smile.吴建豪只能提供一个微笑。

Ady added that she was moved to tears when Van Ness had one day pulled her into a room and prayed for her because he had noticed that she was in a bad mood.奥迪补充说,她激动地落泪时,吴建豪在一天车到她的房间为她祈祷,因为他已经注意到,她在心情不好。

Virginity 童贞

Since then, Van Ness and Ady have successfully filmed many other intimate scenes in the drama, including kissing scenes set in an ice-skating rink and in a garden.自那时以来,吴建豪和奥迪已经成功拍摄的电视剧,包括接吻场景设置在一个冰溜冰许多其他亲密的场景场和一个花园。

But after Ady got over her fear, it was Van Ness who kept fumbling during the love scenes.但在奥迪超过了她的恐惧,这是吴建豪谁一直在摸索的爱情场面。

The production team then set in place a fine, where Van Ness had to pay NT100 ($4) whenever he had an NG ('no good' take).生产队,然后确定适当的罚款,其中吴建豪不得不支付NT100($ 4)每当他有一个议员('不行'采取)。

Van Ness, who revealed he lost his virginity at 17 and has had six girlfriends since, including Taiwanese sex kitten Vivian Hsu, has since taken a vow of celibacy.吴建豪,谁透露,他17岁失去童贞,并有6个女朋友,因为包括台湾性感小猫徐若瑄以来,已采取了独身誓言。

The actor said he is now focused on marriage and children.演员说,他现在对婚姻和儿童为重点。

'Maybe I was naive, and drank a little as well. '也许我是天真的,喝了点也。 The person (whom I lost my virginity to) was just a friend, but not someone I loved.的人(我丢失了我的童贞)只是朋友,但不是我爱的人。

'I regret it. '我感到遗憾。 Even when I get married, I will still regret it.甚至当我结婚,我仍然会后悔的。 This is not something good.这不是好东西。 Kids should never do this,' he said.孩子们不应该这样做,'他说。

He revealed that he was tempted to break his vow soon after he had signed a celibacy card in 2008.他透露,他很想打破他的誓言后不久,他在2008年签署了独身卡。 But he has learnt to curb his desires with prayer.但他学会了祈祷制止他的欲望。

Despite his new perspective on life, Van Ness has not been free from scandal.尽管他对生活的新视角,吴建豪还没有摆脱丑闻。

His personal assistant is currently being investigated for a drug offence, and those around him - including Van Ness - are now also suspected of taking drugs.他的私人助理,目前正在调查一个没有毒品的罪行,他周围的人 - 包括吴建豪 - 现在也涉嫌吸食毒品。

But the star has said he's willing to take a drug test to clear his name.但明星也表示,他愿意接受药物测试,以澄清他的名字。

Now that's a new rock star attitude - by saying no to sex, drugs and alcohol.现在这是一个新的摇滚歌星的态度 - 不说性,毒品和酒精。

翻译真辛苦了,好文章~~

引用:
原帖由 angelinalitian 於 2010-2-21 10:49 發表
中英 译文!

This is an article from New Paper...I heard this is paper normally only writes about tabloids...wow..GOD is GOOD!这是来自新报的文章...我听说这是文件通常只写了关于小报...哇..上帝是好的!

WH ...
亲,谢谢
我依然爱你,或许是命中注定,多年之后任何人都无法代替。----致van ness

引用:
原帖由 angelinalitian 於 2010-2-21 10:49 發表
中英 译文!
WH ...

雖然看得好辛苦, 但終於明白了...

非常謝謝你 !

發新話題